Highlander Early Start Academy Overview
The Highlander Early Start Academy (HESA) is a 7-week intensive program for incoming freshman.
Student that participates in the Highlander Early Start Academy will have the opportunity to choose one primary course – Math OR English, they will be enrolled in a secondary course - English 008 (Oral communication), as well as partake in the Early Start Seminar. Students will also participate in mandatory weekly activities.
|Primary Course||Secondary Course||College Success Course||Units Earned|
|Math 5||English 008||HESA 001||10 units|
|Math 6A||English 008||HESA 001||9 units|
|Math 9A||English 008||HESA 001||9 units|
|English 4||English 008||HESA 001||10 units|
|English 1A||English 008||HESA 001||9 units|
HESA will challenge you, give you more confidence in both your personal and academic development, provide you with knowledge about the campus and resources in order to allow you to achieve the goals you have set for yourself.
Students that participate in the Highlander Early Start Academy will receive 4 (Math 6A, Math 9A, English 1A) or 5 units (English 4, Math 5) as well as earn 4 additional units towards graduation (English 008).
Develop effective strategies for reviewing and mastering course material
Hone skills that will be useful in this program and in your growth as a student
Special academic & personal success support designed especially for Early Start students
Gain an edge over other incoming freshmen with early access to campus life and resources
Highlander Early Start Academy Scholarship
Students that participate in the Highlander Early Start Academy have the opportunity to receive a scholarship during the summer and the academic year.
Students are eligible for a Summer scholarship of $250 by
- Earning a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Passing your Early Start Seminar (ESS)
- Attending 3 out of 4 mandatory activities
- Attending 2 academic support sessions (tutoring, SI, meet with your peer mentor, etc.) at the Academic Resource Center (ARC)
Academic year Scholarship – Fall, Winter, and Spring
During the Fall, Winter, and Spring, HESA students can earn a scholarship ($250 each quarter, $750 total) by
- Continuing to maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Complete 12 earned units
- Attend 5 academic support sessions inside (tutoring, Non-mandatory SI, writing support, ACE peer mentor program, etc) or outside of the ARC. This can be 5 sessions of the same service, 5 separate services, or a combination of both.
* Services outside of the ARC that qualify towards the scholarship requirement include, but are not limited to: meeting with someone at the Career Center, your Academic Advisor, or Health Professions Advising Center (HPAC), etc - please talk to a HESA staff member if you have another idea.
Academic Resource Center
156 Skye Hall
University of California, Riverside
Monday – Thursday
9:00AM – 7:00PM
9:00AM – 5:00PM